I’ve had a lot of requests for the recipe for my scones, as well as for my saskatoon pie, so I decided to add them to my webpage. I hope you enjoy trying them out!
White Chocolate Saskatoon Scones
- Preheat oven to 425⁰F
- In small bowl, mix ½ cup whole milk and ½ cup sour cream
- In a separate, larger bowl, add 2 cups flour, ½ cup sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt
- Take a block of frozen butter and grate ½ cup. Toss it into flour mixture with your fingers
- Fold your milk and sour cream into the flour mixture until just moistened; then use a spatula to turn it onto a floured surface. Knead dough 6-8 times.
- Roll dough into ~12 “ square. Fold dough into thirds (like a business letter), then lift short ends and fold them into thirds to form ~4” square
- Transfer dough to a plate lightly dusted with flour and chill in freezer for 5 minutes
- Measure out 1 ½ cups saskatoons (fresh or frozen) and ¼ cup white chocolate chips. Set aside until dough is again rolled out into ~ 12” square
- Press saskatoons and white chocolate chips evenly over surface of dough
- Roll dough into a tight log, then press it into a 12” x 4” rectangle
- Cut rectangle crosswise into 4 equal rectangles, then cut each one diagonally to form triangles
- Transfer onto parchment lined baking sheet
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and brush tops of each. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar
- Bake until tops and bottoms are golden brown, 18-25 minutes.
Pie Crust Recipe—Makes (4) 9” double crusts
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pound lard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cold water
Measure dry ingredients into a large bowl. Cut in lard with a pastry blender, until it is like course crumbs. In a separate cup, add egg and lemon juice, plus enough cold water to make one cup. Mix quickly into large bowl. Roll out on pastry sheet.
Saskatoon Pie Filling—Makes enough for the four 9” crusts
- 16 cups saskatoons (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Pour lemon juice over saskatoons in a large bowl
Mix together in a separate bowl:
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add to saskatoons and mix well.
Use 4 cups per pie. Dot pies with butter, then use a pastry brush to dampen the edges before placing on the top crust. Seal the edges. Place in oven preheated to 450°F and bake for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to 350°F and bake another 30 minutes.